Tuesday, May 13, 2014

ONE LUCKY NIGHT BLOG TOUR: Author Interview with Constance Phillips


Today, I have the pleasure of hosting an interview with ONE LUCKY NIGHT author/contributor Constance Phillips. 

Thanks for taking the time to stop by Constance!


Author Bio:
Constance Phillips lives in Ohio with her husband, two ready-to-leave-the-nest children, and four canine kids. Her perfect fantasy vacation would involve hunting Dracula across Europe with her daughter, who also digs that kind of stuff.

My Interview with Constance:

ME: I LOVE Sean and Lexi!  Where did you come up with the character Lexi and all of her complexities?  Is the character based on anyone you know?

CONSTANCE: Lexi was a fun character to write, but as I wrote the early scenes I was learning about her right along with Sean.  It wasn't until I wrote the scene in the alley behind the Brazen Head that I was able to work through her conflict and motivation. 

All of my characters get pieces of me and pieces of people I know. Lexi isn't based on one person, she's a mosaic of many.


ME: Sean, what a hottie!  I love that you made him "Sweet Sean".  I've known quite a few bartenders in my lifetime.  Ever know a "Sweet Sean" before?

CONSTANCE: I loved the hottie side of Sean too, but I knew pretty early into Lexi's Chance that I wanted to turn the perception of him on his head. I liked the idea of his flirting being part of a defense mechanism. And yes, I did know a bar tender once who does remind me a lot of who Sean became.

ME: In keeping with the "luck" theme, the elderly gentleman represents something not quite "of this world".  My first inclination was to consider him a leprechaun. Can you tell us about this character?

CONSTANCE: We authors refer to him as "the luck bringer." None of us dug any deeper than what you see on the page. I think the mystery is what makes it fun.

ME: Romance takes some back-story. How different was it for you to write a short story versus the novel-length story you are used to writing?

CONSTANCE: This is actually the second short story I wrote, (Council Courtship is the other). I do find then challenging, but also a lot of fun. I enjoy writing them with connecting stories, because I also enjoy developing  larger stories too.

ME: Which is easier for you to write? Paranormal/Fantasy or Contemp Romance?

CONSTANCE: I really love them both, but paranormal is a first love for me and I look forward to getting back to writing a paranormal story soon. My next three releases will be contemporary, though.

ME: I see you have a book due out in August.  Can you tell us more about it?

CONSTANCE: The Ultimate Catch is essentially romance on an Alaskan Crab fishing boat, I've always been a huge fan of the show the Deadliest Catch. When I heard an interview with a captain saying it was bad luck to have a woman on the boat, I knew I wanted to do something with that.

The heroine, Jolanda, needs to make money to pay a balloon payment. She makes a bet with Keller and ...well, I'll let you read the book to find out what happens!

Constance online:

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for hosting the book today and interviewing Connie! :)

    ReplyDelete